Being an advocate for your health and wellness is your responsibility and one you can’t afford to neglect.
As busy professionals, we have to make quick decisions often about our business, bottom line, our clients and our careers. Often, the only time we contemplate our health and wellness is when we begin to feel ill. More often than not, it is too late to take preventative measures.Here are some simple easy advocacy steps towards maintaining your health and wellness:
- When you have your annual physical blood-work and other tests, don’t wait for your doctor to call you. Before you leave your doctor’s office, book a follow-up appointment in 4 weeks to review your results. Let your doctor know you would be coming back to review your results.
- Ask questions.
- Ask for the normal range for results based on gender, age and race.
- Ask if there is something you can do to change your results.
- Do not be easily dismissed; this could save your life or prevent you from suffering unwanted diseases.
- Make notes and ask if there is a prescription with fewer side effects, if you are being medicated.
- Ask what other things you should do or not do to aide your healing.
- Remember, you are the CEO of your health, not your doctor. It is your responsibility to know as many facts about your health as possible.
- If you don’t do so yet, take copies of all your test results, scan them and save them electronically. It’s nice to have them in case you need medical attention from someone other than your own physician.
- Let someone else in your family know where those are kept.
- Pay attention to all your life dimensions.
I wish you peace of mind and wellness as you care for all dimensions of your life.Be Well,Joyce OdidisonJoyce Odidison is a Conflict Analyst Coach, who is the founder of Interpersonal Wellness Services Inc. & Coaching Institute. She consults, teaches and coaches with mid-career professionals and organizations to improve performance, skills, competencies, and workplace wellness. She can be reached at www.interpersonalwellness.com or by phone at: 1 877 999-9591.